The Spring Hill Middle School 5 - 8 grades electives program is offered to give our students a choice around exploring new passions or skills while serving as a vehicle to connect academic standards. Our electives program is a cherished time where students across grade levels come together to explore common interests and take safe risks, giving them a well rounded education. Electives also offer students an opportunity to reveal a skill set that may not be obvious in other classes. This allows students to recognize their strengths and appreciate the unique talents of their peers. Students celebrate accomplishments and build community all while discovering their passions in the Spring Hill elective program.
BROADCAST NEWS with Ms. Rachel Wiebe and Ms. Susan Dieli
- If you are interested in broadcast news and have a strong sense of humor, please join Ms. Susan and Ms. Rachel to write, produce and deliver a weekly televised news broadcast to the Spring Hill Main Campus community!
CHESS CLUB with Andrew Emer
- We are going to learn basic openings for both white and black, middle game strategy, and end-game knockouts! As well, we will learn to play chess using a time clock!
CREATIVE WRITING with Ms. Katie Vanko
- Ahhh writing…The power of words. Words can move us! Make us laugh, cry, cheer! If you believe in the power of words and have stories to tell, come to Creative Writing. This elective will be driven by YOU, the writers. Enjoy writing what matters to you!
DEBATE with Ed Longnecker
- Want to learn how to win debates with your parents and peers? The art of debate takes practice. Come and learn how to dominate verbal discussions.
DIGITAL STORYTELLING with Eliz Mckoy
- Want to create and star in original stories using technology? Students will use WeVideo to create 2-3 minute videos that are written, produced, and star the students!
GOLF with Coach Zak Koval - 90 MINUTE OPTION- one elective
- Mr. K will take 6 students (in the School van) every Friday 2 pm-3 pm to the Golf Center on the west side of Petaluma. The students will learn how to swing various golf clubs from drivers to irons, as well as practice on the putting greens. At the end of the semester, we’ll go play 9 holes at Rooster Run Golf course!
IMPROV SPANISH with Ms. Susan Dieli
- Students will use their Spanish to get out of sticky situations in improvisational skits of everyda
LEADERSHIP with Ms. Rachel Wiebe
- Ever wondered who decides on spirit days? Who plans student body events? Sports tournaments and prizes? The Spring Hill Leadership Team does!! If you enjoy things like party planning and organizing fundraisers then Leadership is the elective for you!! Join me, Ms. Rachel, to help shape an amazing year for us all!
PHOTOGRAPHY with MARK Briceno
- Come explore key concepts of photography such as the rule of thirds, depth of field, natural borders, z-readout, etc. This will be done through the exploration of legendary photographers and include genres such as portrait, landscape, and action.
THE GIVING TREE with Ms. Alpa Sanwal
- Ms. Alpa and the students will focus on how to give back to our school and community. We will also find ways to get our community involved with each other. From helping out with the red cross, to reaching out to the habitat of humanities or to even making sandwiches we are here to be of service and pay it forward! In this class we will brainstorm fun ways to raise awareness of a topic in our school or help with a cause we are all passionate about!
ROCK BAND with Andrew Emer
- Rock n Roll! We are going to examine and learn to play this uniquely American music. Starting with the blues and heading through early rock n roll. Come rock with me! This is for anyone who has their own instruments for bringing or for people who want o sing. We will have a drum set!